This vegan zucchini bread is packed full of goodness and flavor. I like to use lots of fresh zucchini, so I really pack the zucchini down into a measuring cup to get every speck of green goodness into this bread.
This bread also freezes well. If you want to save one loaf for later, just wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or foil.
1 hour 40 mins
Recipe Type: Dessert, Quick bread, Vegan bread
Tools: Two 9x5x2¾ inch loaf pans
Serves: 2 loaves
Pan Prep: Greased, Parchment Lined (optional,) Floured
Storage: Cover and room temperature or refrigerate
Vegan Zucchini Bread Ingredients:
A small amount of vegetable shortening and flour are used to prepare the pan.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 6 tablespoons ground flax seeds
(Tip: use whole flax seeds if you prefer additional crunch and texture in your bread.)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 cups firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup applesauce
(Tip: I use sweetened applesauce, or use unsweetened if you prefer)
- ½ cup water, warm or room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups grated zucchini (about 2 medium-sized zucchinis)
- 1 cup toasted walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped (optional)
How to Make Vegan Zucchini Bread:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare two 9x5x2¾ inch loaf pans; lightly grease the pans with shortening and dust with flour. Tip: to make baked bread easier to remove from pan, lightly grease the pan, line with parchment paper, and then lightly grease the top of the parchment paper and dust with flour.
- Batter: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, flax seeds, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg; sift or whisk together to mix. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, oil, applesauce, water, and vanilla; whisk together until well blended. Add grated zucchini and nuts; stir until mixed. Add flour mixture; stir just until blended.
- Bake: Pour batter into the loaf pans, dividing the batter evenly between the 2 pans. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove pans from oven and let cool for about 15 minutes. Turn the bread out of the pans onto a wire cooling rack, or grab the top edges of the parchment paper and lift the bread from the loaf pans and place it on a wire cooling rack to finish cooling. Remove parchment paper and discard.
- Testing for doneness: Use the baking times given in the recipe as an estimate, as some ovens bake faster or slower than others.
Insert a wooden toothpick or long wooden skewer near the center of the bread and remove it.
A few moist crumbs may be attached to the toothpick or skewer, but not the batter. Or, insert an instant-read thermometer into the middle of the loaf; the internal temperature should range between 195-205 degrees F.
(Tip: I like to use a combination of the toothpick test plus a temperature reading using a Super-Fast Thermapen Thermometer for an accurate doneness test.)
Try some Zucchini Bread, something everyone will love. Zucchini Bread makes a great dessert, snack, or lunchtime treat.
Related recipe: Vegan Pumpkin Bread Recipe