Full of roasted tomato flavor and chunks of mushrooms, this vegan soup is definitely a winner in our home. Serve this soup with a loaf of crusty bread and a green salad to have a complete and filling meal.
I use Campari tomatoes, available at our local Costco store year-round. These are definitely one of the best tomatoes I’ve eaten, with sweet tomatoey-fresh-from-your-garden flavor.
Recipe Type: Entree; Vegan
Tools: Large heavy-bottomed pan, Blender, Large heavy-bottomed cooking pot
1 hour 20 mins
Serving: 6 servings
Storage: Cover and refrigerate
Roasted Tomato & Mushroom Soup Ingredients:
- 2 pounds Plum or Campari Tomatoes
- 4 to 5 tablespoons oil, divided
(Tip: I like to use olive oil. However, coconut or vegetable oils are also good to use.)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt or sea salt
(Tip: I like to use coarse kosher salt)
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ of a medium-sized white onion diced
- 10 to 12 ounces of mushrooms, sliced
(Tip: I like to use Cremini mushrooms for this recipe. However, white button mushrooms are also good to use)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
(Tip: I like to use Almond Breeze Almond Milk’s original flavor. It has just the right amount of sweetness to offset the acidity of the tomatoes and tomato paste. If using unsweetened non-dairy milk, you may need to add a teaspoon or more of sweetener to balance the tomato acidity.)
How to Make Roasted Tomato & Mushroom Soup:
Tip: Use a large enough piece of foil to allow the overhang to contain the tomato juices and make it easier to remove after baking.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Prepare one large baking pan with sides, such as a 12x17x1 inch Jelly Roll pan; Line with foil and lightly coat the top of the foil with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Roast Tomatoes: Cut the tomatoes in half lengthwise and cut out the very end of the core where the stem meets. Place tomato halves cut side down on the prepared baking pan. Use a pastry brush to brush the top side of the tomatoes with 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, basil, oregano, black pepper, and garlic powder; Stir to mix. Sprinkle this mixture over the oiled tomatoes. Tomatoes Before Roasting
- Roast the tomatoes in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before blending. Tomatoes After Roasting
- When the tomatoes are slightly cooled, scrape the tomatoes, including all the juices, into a blender. Blend at medium speed until smooth. Set aside.
- Sauté Onions and Mushrooms: In a large heavy-bottomed cooking pot, heat 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat, then add the diced onions. Cook and stir onions with a spatula or wooden spoon until partially cooked, about 3 minutes. Add sliced mushrooms and saute for about 5 minutes more or until the mushrooms are tender.
- Add the vegetable broth, tomato paste, and blended tomatoes to the onion and mushroom mixture, and stir to combine. Raise the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Add the non-dairy milk and stir to combine and heat through. Serve soup hot.